Thursday, June 14, 2012

Simple Coconut Chocolate Bars

Okay, let me just start by saying that I am not a dessert person. Yes I know its weird and unnatural, but sweets are just not my thing. My husband thinks I am from another planet (he is a very serious cookie dough/chocolate cake lover). I think my toddler son Jude is taking after my dessert-neglecting ways, because the few times I have let him try chocolate he is not really interested. In fact, I let him have a go at these very bars, but he just tried to pick the chocolate chips out and commented that they were sour- weirdo- I know!!!! (Of course, during this incident my husband was snickering about how Jude cannot possibly be his son)- HA! Anyway, despite not loving dessert; there are a few days out of the month when I do get a few sweet/chocolatey type cravings (ladies I know you feel me here), so I went on a hunt for a treat that was a tad sweet yet still pretty clean. I found a decent recipe (and then modified it a bit) and absolutely LOVE how very simple & delicious these bars turned out to be!!!!


These simple, slightly chewy squares are definitely for the coconut lovers out there. The sweetness from the mini chocolate chips is sufficient to sweeten these squares but as an alternative, you could use carob chips, chopped dates or chopped dried apricots.

 Ingredients:
2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup mini dark chocolate chips

1.    Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
2.    Whisk egg and vanilla together in a small mixing bowl.  Add coconut and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
3.    Pour out into prepared baking pan.  Flatten out and pat down with a spatula or back of a wooden spoon.
4.    Bake for 22 minutes, until starting to turn golden.  Let cool.
5.    Cut into squares and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment